Sunday, March 1, 2009

Never bad to spring for last minute game tickets

Wednesday was one of the best days I have had in a long time. I don't know if the stars and the moon aligned the night before or if devine intervention smiled down upon me for once, but finding sweet tickets for the Rays home opener in my hometown the night before the game and actually having the day off of work and school made the 100 mile trip south just so worth it. I have recently discovered that waiting for the last moment to buy tickets actually works out.

The day before the official start of spring training baseball the only seats available at the Charlotte sports park in Port Charlotte, at that particular time, were berm seats. Berm seating it like sitting in the lawn section at a Dave Matthews Band concert, with out the overwhelming smell of weed and dirty hippie body odor. My roommate and I decided to purchase tickets later since there didn't seem to be any reason why that section will sell out. Later on in the night after I returned from a late class, we decided to take another peak at the Rays Ticketmaster website. What my friend and I read next made it a night to celebrate. Two tickets, first base line, 15 feet right of the Rays dugout and 2Nd row from the field. Not to shabby since it was stated that the entire spring training season is sold out.

Instead of sitting on a sloped grassy hill by the outfield , we were right up front in reserved seats. Our seats were 100 times better than what we originally thought was possible at only twice as much. The price difference was only nine dollars for the better seats. For that extra nine dollars we were able to be within 2 feet of Evan Longoria. I was about 2 people away from having my hat autographed by the all-star rookie of the year. He was only one of many players that I was able to get close to. It is so exciting to be only feet away from all my favorite ball players and coaches.

Most baseball enthusiasts will either have tickets bought well in advance or settle for crappy bleacher seats when they wait till the last minute. I, on the other hand, was able to receive better tickets than 90% of everyone else less than 24 hrs before a "sold-out game".

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the times when my friends and I used to get Gator tickets off of scalpers, hours before the game. Ironically, you are right... we always got better seats that way. In theory, it would seem better to plan the event for months. Luckily for us, that wasn't the case. I still remember sitting in the corner of the end zone, crowd in a frenzy, my best friends and I watching Rex Grossman throw a sick TD after picking up his own fumble. What a game! Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your right maybe its just ticket master or something because last year when i was waiting to buy Kanye West concert tickets they were telling me that basically all the good seats that me and my friends were dieing to get were SOLD OUT and we were devistated that we had to settle for the crappy upper level seats. But because we had to pay for the tickets in cash we went up to the forum and they told us there were still tickets available close to the stage and were $50 dollars cheaper then the price online!

    ReplyDelete